Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Pregnancy and beyond...

Motherhood is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. However, getting there was either a joy or a burden, depending on the mood I am in when you ask me!
Being pregnant with Finley was great and horrid. I was SOOOO excited to be pregnant that I didn't mind any of the crappy things, but now looking back, I am able to say that I would not have enjoyed being pregnant if I wasn't looking forward to it so much! I guess mindset makes you overlook a lot of things! For instance, I threw up almost every day, all day long, until I was 20 weeks pregnant. I had horrible headaches, and throwing up when you have a migraine is NOT FUN! I lost weight at every appointment until I was 24 weeks pregnant because I was so sick. But throwing up meant I was still pregnant. Then came the kidney stones at 10 weeks and again at 14 weeks. I hurt for a solid week with little relief (and a lot of puking) until I finally passed 4 stones. The docs were talking surgery and stents, and I was NOT going there! Amazing what some prayer will do, huh? And then the sciatic nerve pain. I could not lay on my back without the shooting pain going down my right side, and then it would take me several minutes to move because it felt like there was a knife in my back that turned with every movement. Also, I believed that Finley was an octopus with extra limbs made just for poking me. How can you have a foot in your ribs, an arm in your bladder and an elbow in your side at the same time? Shaun, of course, loved all of these pokes and rolls.
And the labor. Good Lord, the labor. When my water broke at 9 am on Sunday morning, I was excited that I would be having a baby that day! When I got to the hospital, I was 3 cm dialated, and was having some contractions, so I was thinking, give it 6 to 8 hours, and this will all be done! Wrong! At 9 pm, they started Pitocin, which I believe is the Devil's way of ensuring that all women labor in pain. I had back labor, and felt like I was breaking in half with every contraction. However, I had great support between my wonderful husband and great girls that I work with. So, finally, at 1:30 am I opted for an epidural to put me out of my misery. I loved that thing. Well, a few hours later, I developed a fever and finn's heart rate went way high. So I earned myself a cooling blanket. 2 cooling blankets, really. So, I shivered and shook with that 49degree water running under and on top of me. But, my fever finally came down and finn's heart rate came back to normal. And then it was time to push. And I pushed, and I pushed. For 2 hours. The epidural was no more; I could feel everything as I pushed. And pushed some more. And then I ripped as the baby was finally delivered at 2 pm on Monday (which my wonderful midwife let my husband help deliver), and then, thank God it was over. Except for the fact that I couldn't sit right for 2 weeks. Oh, well, at least she was here healthy. And pregnancy was OVER!
And then when Finley was 9 months old, surprise! Another baby!
So far, it has been much easier this time around. No kidney stones, minimal vomiting. Still the same sciatic pain, but I can deal with that. Oh, and the reflux, so Tums have become my morning, afternoon and evening snack. Should have bought stock in them. Also, Finn's little sister is also an octopus. Already. And I currently have a placenta previa, so after all the crappy labor with Finn, I may end up with a c-section. Lovely.
I guess today would be one of those days when I don't enjoy pregnancy a whole bunch, but ask me tomorrow? I'll be loving it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment